I’m sorry I haven’t posted any dishes this week, I’ve had a touch a flu, and not had any inclination to either cook or eat. However, the flu is behind me now, and here are two dishes to try and gain some credit back.
The sweet potatoes were the best part of this dish. I still need practice to make a decent roux for thickening a proper Mac n Cheese, and this first recipe seemed to offer a ‘roux-less’ recipe. I will say now, I didn’t like it, it was far too sweet, it was more like a sweet rice pudding. So my search for a roux-less recipe continues.
I did little different with the Mac N Cheese as I wanted to give the recipe a good shot. The condensed milk made it way too sweet. I did add a teaspoon of English Mustard as that always gives a nice ‘zip’ to Mac N Cheese’ but the sweetness outweighed all the other tastes. In the photo, it also looks as though something had split which made the texture odd, and not the creamy, oozy texture I was hoping for.
As for the wedges and dip, they were much better. I decided to mash the garlic, butter, oil and salt in a mortar and pestle then brushed that over the wedges. I have found it difficult to make fries with sweet potatoes as they burn so quickly, so wedges (or chunky fries) cook better without burning. The wedges were delicious, as was the creamy feta dip. I did nothing different with the dip, but I think a tablespoon or two of lemon juice would help to lift it and make it lighter.
So, here are the recipes:
Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
- Dash of paprika
- In a large 4-quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker, stir the mixture and serve hot.
Sweet Potato Wedges with Creamy Feta Dip
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled (if desired) and sliced into thin 1/2-inch (thick) strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
Creamy Feta Dip
- 8 ounce feta block, crumbled
- 3/4 cup full-fat or 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. Set aside. Heat butter in a small saucepan (or the microwave) until just melted. Remove from any heat and then add in garlic cloves, stirring well
- Rinse sweet potatoes well with water then pat completely dry with towels. Add to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic butter, salt and pepper. Toss very well to coat. Spread sweet potatoes out in a single layer on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, remove and toss, then bake for 15-20 minutes longer. Sometimes I check within 10 minutes and toss again, and occasionally after the 15-20 minutes, I give them another 5-10 or so. I know using a wire rack can be a pain but it really helps crisp all sides. Try not to crowd the sweet potatoes and if necessary, use a second sheet/rack.
- Remove and let cool slightly. Remove the wire rack or place on a large plate and cover in parmesan and fresh herbs, tossing and tossing to coat. If needed, season a bit more too. You can even add some more garlic butter if you wish. Dip in creamy feta!
Creamy Feta Dip
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well. I took a bit of the herb/parmesan topping from the baking sheet and threw it on top!